The last day of Maslenitsa is called the forgiveness Sunday, in 2018, it falls on February 18 — it is believed that on this day you need to apologize to everyone I could wittingly or unwittingly, to offend in the course of the year. In modern terms, it would seem, to make it easy-just send a message in any messenger… But the representatives of the Russian Orthodox Church insist that a formal apology is not necessary nor beggars, nor the recipient, nor God, so that forgiveness Sunday is a good occasion to meet or at least call.
photo: Gennady Cherkasov
Itself last Sunday based on the reading of the gospel of Matthew where it says, “For if ye forgive men their trespasses, forgive you your heavenly Father, but if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father will not forgive your sins”. To ask forgiveness from each other before the beginning of lent to enter into it with a clear mind and get ready for the Easter. However, it should be done sincerely and not formally — otherwise no sense and cleansing will not work. About how to spend the Sunday before lent and prepare for the beginning of Lent, “MK” said Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin:
– First you must go to the temple for the rite of forgiveness that takes place usually in the evening, but sometimes in the afternoon, after the Liturgy depends on the specific temple. At this time, a prayer at the beginning of the post, and after this the priests and Archpriest ask for forgiveness. All beg the pardon of the clergy, and then each other. It was not a formal act; a person really should seek forgiveness and not to come back then to the fact that forgiveness is asked for. Mutual resentment to this day really close. This day is very good for end years of strife, family conflicts, the remission of long-standing grievances.
– How can this best be done?
– If it is not possible to meet in the temple, you can come to visit, you can call. I would only advise not to send out TEXT messages like a fan in my address book. Not everyone will understand what I mean, we have a lot of far from Orthodox culture. In response to “I’m Sorry” to run into a surprised “And what are you sorry for?” or worse — the question “Do who?”
– By the way, whether it is necessary to specify what kind of misconduct are you sorry?
– Usually don’t specify. You can just say “Excuse me”, you can add about all sins, voluntary or involuntary. However, if something weighs heavy on the soul, I want to say some kind of guilt or concern, there is nothing wrong. It’s even better — it will help not to make mutual forgiveness in an empty formality.
– What can you advise people who feel that can’t let go of a grudge, though apologize they asked?
– It is better to try to forgive. And then come to confession and confess that I can’t get rid of old grudges. We need to pray that this resentment was finally gone from the heart. And for the person that you offended, too, is to pray — the more you do it, the sooner the hurt will go.
And if the opposite: how to be the person you refuse to forgive?
– The same: you need to go to the temple to pray for the man who refused to be forgiven. The other can not be.
– Forgiveness Sunday — the last day before the beginning of Lent. How should it be done?
– In fact, during the whole Pancake week already not eating meat, only dairy products and eggs. Odd those who seek to eat as if for the future Sunday evening after Vespers, the fun is inappropriate, you need to prepare. If we have already offered prayers at the beginning of the post, to sit at the table impossible. Therefore, the traditional Maslenitsa festivities are not very relevant — and indeed it is not the best tradition, because this week should be strict, especially towards the end.
Get short formal newsletter the best in the “MK” – subscribe to our Telegram.